History

The Glenvista Country Club is situated in a well-watered valley of Johannesburg South. The golf course is surrounded by the imposing backdrop of a steep-faced gorge that cuts through the heart of Klipriversberg range. The dramatic change in geological contours from cliff faces to flood plains make Glenvista Country Club an exciting, unique place to play a round of golf.

Farming History

Up until the mid 1900s, the valley & surrounding land belonged to the Basson family. The Bassons utilized the land for farming & agricultural purposes. Their family cemetery can still be seen alongside the current 18th Hole fairway. The Bassons eventually sold the land to the Glen Anil Development Corporation, a substantial township developer of the 1960s and early 1970s. Snuggled in a valley with gently falling slopes, an unhindered water supply, surrounded by some rather fierce inclines, the land always lent itself to being developed into a prestigious golf course so the corporation decided to go ahead with its plans.

Sydney “Sid” Brews

Sid Brews is the architectural mastermind behind the golfing challenge presented at Glenvista Country Club.

Golfing Professional

Sid was the 1st South African professional to campaign successfully abroad winning numerous titles including the Belgian Open, French Open (1934,1935), and Dutch Open (1934,1935). In 1934, he finished 2nd in The Open Championship held at Royal St. George’s, Sandwich losing out to Henry Cotton. In his prime, Sid was rated unofficially amongst the
Top 5 players in the world.

In South Africa, Sid registered 29 local titles throughout his career winning the SA Open 8 times from 1925-1952 & the SA PGA Matchplay Championship 6 times. He remains ranked 4th behind Gary Player, Mark McNulty & Bobby Locke in the most Sunshine Tour wins table.

Golfing Architect

After an illustrious professional golfing career, Sid was never too far from the fairways & greens that served him so well. He turned his attention to local golf course design and development. His imagination & vast experience are behind Beachwood Golf Course, Mount Edgecombe Golf Lodge, Umdoni Park Golf Course, Houghton Golf Club & Glenvista Country Club (His finest work!).

Formation of the Club

It was only in 1973 a year after the passing of Sid Brews that the doors were first opened to Club members. The first meeting of these aspirant members took place on what is now the practice putting green and the first committee was nominated there. They set the entrance fee for full membership at R70 and the annual subscription at R150, payable in installments. Initially, the Glen Anil Corporation was in control of the Club. Before long however, membership numbers had grown to circa 200 and this growing body of members wanted to have an influence in the management & operations of the Club. An enlarged committee was created where a greater degree of autonomy was accepted by the corporation.

Teething Problems

Early improvements were slow in coming with facilities remaining largely inadequate. Teething problems were having a negative impact on membership growth. At this point, a manager’s house was built, 2 tennis courts were erected and the swimming pool installed. Following well-publicized cash flow issues the Glen Anil Development Corporation was placed into liquidation with its assets, including Glenvista Country Club, disposed of in a public auction. The auction day arrived & speculation was rife as to who the new owners of the Club would be. With fortune favoring the brave & despite fierce bidding from multiple parties, the determined members of the Club outbid the competition for R65000 (a good price even in 1978).

Ambition & Progress

Over the next decade much was achieved at Glenvista Country Club. Most of our current facilities including the present clubhouse, the tennis pavilion & a much-needed cay park were constructed. By 1993 all 18 bent grass greens were re-laid to U.S. PGA standards. Glenvista Country Club had a golf course to be truly proud of. Water reticulation systems were subsequently added, making scorched, winter fairways a thing of the past. In 2001, the practice putting green was re-built to the stringent standards set by our course greens.

Fauna & Flora

Circa 600 trees have been planted on the golf course with those planted lately all being indigenous. 5 dams & the perennial stream offer a great challenge & considerable character to the course. The trees & dams attract a wide range of bird life to the area in abundance. Look out for Coots, Egyptian geese, Doves & Plovers during a round.

Clubhouse Refurbishments

Clubhouse facilities have mirrored the improvements seen on the golf course. The main bar has been extended to accommodate our growing membership & visiting groups. The lounge area has also been refurbished & includes a second bar for special occasions & private functions.